Author Topic: Problem trying to load Linux on Chromebook  (Read 3925 times)

norman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Zipzap Computers Limited
Problem trying to load Linux on Chromebook
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:01:36 pm »
If you have a new Chromebook and want to use Linux then you may have an issue. I had problems on my Asus C423 and had to research the issue as they didn't have an answer as to why it wouldn't load.

Found this on - https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/08/you-might-not-want-to-update-your-chromebook-to-the-latest-chrome-os-release-just-yet/

Google has pulled the latest version of Chrome OS 91. Reports have been emerging that some Chromebook owners are experiencing significant performance regressions on Chrome OS version 91.0.4472.147, the latest stable release. However, in the process of pausing the update on devices, Google has introduced another problem ? you can no longer install Linux on what has now become the latest release again, version 91.0.4472.114.

After pulling the problematic update to version 91.0.4472.147, Google is now pointing to v91.0.4472.114 as the most recent stable release. However, it looks like the Linux installer app hasn't received the memo regarding the pulled update yet. As reported by Chrome Unboxed, the Linux installer checks if you're running the latest version of the OS before it runs, and it looks like Google's servers still claim that version x.114 isn't the latest anymore, prompting users to update their Chromebooks. Since version x.147 is no longer available, that's not possible ? x.114 is simply the latest release now. Hence, you can't install Linux on the current release of Chrome OS 91 right now.

I had to tell Asus about this as they clearly didn't know.

UPDATE - THIS HAS NOW BEEN FIXED

Norman
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:09:59 pm by norman »